Sunday, June 01, 2008

Family birthday

Tonight was our weekly dinner at my grandparents' house. We celebrated Holly's birthday with my family.

The long birthday cake story: my original plan was to make a cake for Holly. I was going to make a plain white cake and decorate it with blue icing - using her playdough press to make Diego head imprints in the icing. (This because she had been talking about Diego cupcakes & Diego cake for the past month...) I made the cake on Saturday night, but it didn't turn out - it came out quite flat. Since we didn't have any more eggs, Holly & I walked around the corner this morning to buy some at the corner store. Turns out they did have eggs, but they had an expiry date on them of June 3rd. When I asked the clerk if they had any more, he asked what the problem was - when I told him, he said, but it's only June 1st, to which I replied I didn't plan on using 12 eggs in 2 days! We ended up going home and driving up to Safeway. My plan to save time thwarted, I decided to drive up to (1) save time, and (2) to buy more than just eggs (my justification for driving the 3 blocks!). So we did our shopping (eggs, milk, etc) and ended up in the bakery department to try and get a loaf of bread that Paul really likes. While we were waiting for them to check if they had any in the back, Holly started flipping through the cake binder with photos of all the different cakes they can make (Dora, Diego, Backyardigans, Cars, Nemo, etc, etc. - cakes and also cupcake cakes, which we had for Holly's birthday last year). She found the Princess cake and really liked it, naming all the princesses in the photo. Then I made the mistake (or not) of saying, hey there's one over there..... it was a princess cake without anyone's name on it. Holly loved it on sight. I said, but I'm going home to make you a Diego cake, to which I got the stare - you know, like she couldn't quite believe what I was saying - and said, but I really want this one. I figured it would save me the time of making another cake and decorating it so we bought it. And now she has 4 princess figures to play with.





















































Poh-Poh, Elle-Ee, Bel-Ee, Uncle Paolo, Mommy, Holly & Daddy.
















I believe Darryl took the next few shots - thanks Darryl - they're great!






















Tai-Kong Kong & Tai-Poh with the birthday girl.





































I made these gift jars for my family as "loot bags" - I found recipes, which told you how to layer the ingredients and what instructions to include. There were 5 different types of cookie mixes and I made 3 of them so everyone could sample before picking which jar they wanted to take home. It was a lot of fun and they turned out really nice looking, too (if I don't say so myself!).






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?